Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Atlanta Federation of Musicians Dixieland Jam - My Visit with Frank and Mary

This is a picture of the Monthly Dixieland Jam at the Atlanta Federation of Musicians.  I came right here from the airport when I got to Atlanta.  What a welcome!

Here is a short video of the gang playing "Someday You'll be Sorry".  That's Frank with the hat on and playing guitar.  The banjo player is named Bill.  We chatted real quick after the jam and Frank, Mary and I are going to visit with him on Wednesday.  Seems like a real nice guy.  I can't wait to play and sing some music with him.  He's REALLY good.




A few things that I loved about the jam.
  • They were certainly there to impress each other, but not in a competative way. They were having a blast making little challenges for each other like, "This time all the horns play left-handed."
  • I never quite figured out how they called the tunes out. It seemed like they all just started and that they all knew what to do. I'm sure there was much more going on, but I just didn't see it.
  • There was lots of communication with head nods and gentle finger pointing. Great to see others do that so well. I'm not normally on the listening side of a jam like this. It gives me much more confidence that my jam leading instincts are correct. 

2 comments:

Treeplanter said...

I'm glad you're getting confirmation about some of the things you do to help lead jams. I'm so happy for you right now Jason, raw foods, raw music. Keep it reel (pun intended).

jenna said...

Awesome, J! And thanks for posting the video;)