Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Walking, Playing and Eating Delicious Raw Foods - My Visit with Frank and Mary

It was a very relaxing day around the Hamilton household, today.  A real day of respite.  I got up late with not one thing on the schedule.  I didn't realize how badly I needed that. 

Frank and I took a long walk this morning.  We must have gone around the neighborhood four or five times.  Then we played a little banjo in the afternoon.   More work on the standard C tuning and I moved to three finger chords as I went up the neck.  Once I did it I was all like, "Duh, J!  You've seen people do that a million times and just now you're going to play that way?" But mostly I'm ecstatic to dig in.  I hope there's time tommorow.

We watched a documentary about their friend Derrol Adams in the evening.  I was not
familiar with Derrol's music, but I am very glad I am now. What a voice.

We talked for a bit about Woody and I was very glad that Frank did not laugh when I told him that, to me, it's hard to imagine Woody as a real person. He's just been so built up in my mind that it seems impossible that he was real, let alone a person who played a great deal of music with someone that I know. It's like saying, "I remember chopping wood with Paul Buyan" or, "I remember working on the railroad with John Henry." It's not a "star power" kind of feeling. It's more than that. Deeper. Much more awe-inspiring.

Today was the first days since, well probably since I was born, that I ate entirely raw food.  Frank and Mary only eat raw food and, to my suprise, it's been delicious!  Lots of fruits and vegatables.  Lots of flax seed crackers.  Lots of oats and nuts.  It's kind of perfect for my constitution, actually.  I'm not totaly surprised that it suits me, but I am surprised at how delicious everything is.  Probably not ready to totally convert yet, but you never know.

No comments: