Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Well, That Didn't Take Long. - My Visit with Frank and Mary

As you may know, I'm in Decatur, GA visiting Frank and Mary Hamilton.  Frank is the co-founder (withe Dawn Greening and Win Stracke) and first teacher at the school.  I'm here just to visit and get a way for a bit, talk about the history of the school and folk music in general.

Here's some information about Frank's role in founding the school.  

I knew there would be a lot of music making on this trip, but, boy, that was fast!  I went right from the airport to a dixieland jam that Frank is part of at the Atlanta Federation of Musicians.  I got there at 3:00 and by 3:05 they had me joining in.  I didn't know name, the tune, the key or nothin'.  By the end of the song I had learned that i was in Bb. That's about it.  They were a very welcoming bunch.  Lots of smiles and lots of dixieland.

The jam was great.  More on the actual content once I figure out where my camera is.  I hope I left it in the car.

It's been a inspiring evening.  We watched an awesome documentary called Karoo Kitaar Blues all about marginalized musicians in South Africa.  If you have Link TV I think it's available on-demand. I want to watch it again.

We ate at a place called Your Dekalb Farmers Market. This place is inredible!  Whole Foods - eat your very expensive heart out.  You've got nothin' on this place.

We also got down into some "Pete Style" banjo picking and my ears and fingers have been opened.  Turns out, it's not double C tuning that I need.  It's single C.  That changes everything.  I can't wait to dig in and get all my new tricks under my fingers!  Here we come songs in minor keys!

Onward to tomorrow!
Jason

4 comments:

Treeplanter said...

That is all so freakin cool man! I'm happy and excited for you. Thanks for sharing. Keep us informed of you can, but when you get back, we're definately going out so I can hear it just babble on out if you.
-anthony

Two Things said...

This is very exciting, a trip to visit one of The Great Ones. I can't wait to hear all about it. (P.S. Ask Frank if he has any good parade and/or hero ideas!)

Maria McCullough said...

Can't wait to hear you when u get back!

Mary Ruth said...

Of course, I'm very excited about the music, but that MARKET!! I just want to move right in! Glad you're having fun, Jason. (Aren't you proud - this is my first blog ever:)