Search This Blog

Thursday, April 01, 2010

"We Must All Cultivate our Garden." - My Visit with Frank and Mary

What a great day!  I started with a sleeping late, a delicious breakfast and then Frank and I got down to some of the work of cultivating the garden.

I brought both instruments (banjo and guitar) with me, but this has definitely been a week of banjo.  One thing I've been working on is getting out of clawhammer style (which I still love), without going right into bluegrass (which I only like).  The answer?  Pete Seeger style!

Frank as been so generous in giving me the keys to the kingdom of this style of banjo playing.  We've both been so excited by it that we decided to make some videos, and maybe others can learn this stuff also.   It's all recorded.  I just have to edit it a bit.

What follows is the first of what I believe will be six videos featuring short lessons on banjo playing, taught by Frank.



Wait!  Don't go grab your banjo without finishing this post!  There's more!

Then we went into Atlanta to meet Bill Rutan.  This guy is awesome!  He is the banjo player that sings and plays in the video of the dixieland jam in my previous post.  Bill is incredibly knowledgable about banjos, but isn't a show off.  He's very humble.  I like that.

Frank, Mary and I hung out with him for about an hour or so.  We played banjos, conversed about banjos, thought about banjos, looked at banjos, took banjos apart and put those same banjos back together again.

Here is a video of Bill singing a song called "When that Midnight Choo Choo Leaves for Alabam."





We've got to find a way to get this guy up to Chicago.  I have a feeling that he's a great teacher.

From Bill's place we went to have lunch at a place called R. Thomas'.  That is some good food.  Best part?  Raw veggies and fruit shakes for Frank and Mary.  Burger with cheddar cheese and a pint of organic pilsner for me!   Oh, that tasted good.

From the restaurant, we went to the Martin Luther King historical site.

I was touched by the words enscribed on the plaque under the monument called The Eternal Flame.

"The Eternal Flame symbolizes the continuing effort to realize Dr. King's ideals for the "Beloved Community" which requires lasting personal commitment that cannot weaken when faced with obstacles."

Maybe it sounds silly, but my presonal commitment is to continue to give children a voice and have them actively take the lead in their own musical education.

I have a feeling I'm going to be thinking about this plaque a great deal when I get back to Chicago.  There's a lot of work to be done.

Lastly, Frank and I had another great chat tonight.  Gosh, I have learned so much over the last few days.  Questions have been answered and new questions have appeared.  I mentioned how I feel like, over the past couple of years, I've built a beautiful garden with my music, my teaching and my life, but, like many projects, I didn't always think about how much work it would be to take care of the garden.  Frank layed this quote from Voltaire.  "We must all cultivate our garden."

Thanks so much for your great perspective, Frank.

OK, everyone.  Thanks for reading the whole post.  Now you can go get your banjo.

4 comments:

Mary Ruth said...

Wow Jason, these vidoes are fantastic - and priceless! I can't wait for Chris Walz and the whole banjo gang to see them! You are capturing moments and music that probably would never have been captured. A blessed journey, my friend.

In honor of both you and Frank, I intend to have both raw veggies AND a cheddar burger today.

Cheers, enjoy,
Mary Ruth

Waxwell said...

I'm ecstatic, Jason! It's strange that from such a distance I could feel so connected. Thanks for your posts, they really carry the spirit.

jenna said...

"Maybe it sounds silly, but my presonal commitment is to continue to give children a voice and have them actively take the lead in their own musical education."

Jason, if this is silly, it is only in the way that all the best and most important goals are, i.e. in that you must hold to them heartily and seek to fulfill them furtively, all the while realizing the beauty of the silliness in everything:) Having children actively take the lead in their own education - of all stripes - is what will make our future as a people better, fuller and more engagingly diverse:) And, I agree with Libby...thank you!

Laura said...

I love that Frank is wearing the new OTS T-shirt!